Richard Arsenault on July 8th, 2013

In April I moved from extract brewing to all grain, and the beer I made was this Blueberry Wheat Ale.  It’s based on Northern Brewer’s American Wheat Beer kit, with 2 ounces of Blueberry Extract added.

But I goofed.

Being my first attempt at all grain I don’t mind that it didn’t come out as planned, as long as I learn from it.  Here are my mistakes, in case they help you as well:

  • Due to a brew pot which was too small, I only boiled 4 gallons of wort.  I then topped it off with water to get to 5 gallons (being used to doing this from extract brewing) and then after that I took the specific gravity and found it too high.  I immediately realized how I had just diluted the wort.  I recently ordered this 8 Gal Brewing Kettle for the next brew day, which should be in another couple weeks.
  • I sparged too quickly.  I don’t remember how long it took, but between letting it run too fast and the issue above I ended up with just a 1.25% ABV when bottled.  I’m going to slow that down and pull 5.5-6 gallons in around 40-60 minutes for the next batch.

The flavor of the beer is also a little off.  It’s drinkable, but weak.  I’m definitely looking forward to making this beer again to see how it should really taste, but I think the next one will be a Pumpkin Ale.  The pumpkin beer season is coming and I want that one to be ready!

So here we have my weekly photo – the Blueberry Wheat Ale.  Some frozen blueberries were added to the glass before the pour.

Weekly Photo – Blueberry Wheat Ale

 

Tags: ,

  • Bill Steadman

    When you sparge, try to keep 1-2″ of sparge water on top of the grains. Either adjust your sprage rate, or run off to achieve this. This will ‘pull’ as much of the sugar out of the grains. If you’re really into brewing, check out http://www.promash.com — great brewing software.

    Bill